top of page

History of Harbour View Beach

Harbour View beach was once the home to The Atlantic Golf Hotel and The Horse
Rock Hotel . Both buildings were transported from Cork to the site just above the
entrance to the beach on the right hand side coming from Kinsale direction. The
buildings dated back to 1902 and were two Pavilions which had been transported
from America as part of the International Exhibition or Fair in Fitzgerald Park, Cork.
They were dismantled and re-erected in Harbour View having been purchased by
Mary Alcock-Stawell of Kilbrittain Castle. Mrs Alcock-Stawell named both buildings
The Atlantic Golf Links Hotel which had accommodation for 40 guests offering
Croquet Tennis Sea-Baths Fishing Boating, Duck and Snipe Shooting, and a ferry
service to Courtmacsherry. There was also had a nine hole golf course constructed
for the 1904 . The hotel was officially opened on June 14th 1904 by Lord Bandon.
The hotel closed again in 1910 due to bankruptcy and re-opened in 1912 and
operated till 1919 when it was sold to M.D. Daly wine merchants Cork. Mr Daly had
one of the buildings dismantled and taken to Crosshaven were it still stands today as
a private residence.
The other building was sold to a Mr R. Walsh the son of a Mr J.P Walsh who owned
a a summerhouse which is now known as the Pink Elephant. Mr J.P Walsh was a
Nationalist Politician born in Bandon who was also Chairman of the Crawford and
Beamish bottling company. When he did not contest the 1918 election he was
replaced by Michael Collins.
After changing hands a few more times the Horse Rock Hotel opened again in 1960
but met its demise in 1973 when it was destroyed by a fire.
As one leaves the beach in the direction of Timoleague about 500yds on the left is a
dancing platform constructed in the 1940s. Dances were held regularly in the 1950s
and 60s until the practice died out in the 1970s. A dance is now held every summer
during the Kilbrittain Festival.


I know it’s Monday, but it’s a beautiful
bottom of page